Tuesday, September 30, 2008

356 Babies or Bust!

I had the best patient today that I've had in a long time. It was a great way to come back to work after a few days off, and a good vacation in Branson. J and I were slotted for 2 inductions. One multip pit induction at 0700 and another cervidal from the night before. The board was crazy (what's new...) and there was no way we were gonna be able to handle both of them, so J took the cervidal and I took the induction.

I was pretty proud of myself overall for the day, much better than the last epidsode I had at work. I love the doc that we had, and the couple was as nice as could be. Lots of fun, great at interacting with eachother and with me. They were wide open for anything and when baby was born at 1109 everyone was surprised! One of my favorite things is when the parents don't find out the sex of the baby. It makes it awkward calling the baby "it" all day long, but it's so fun to see the faces of Mom and Dad when they find out if it's a boy or a girl at delivery. It's like opening Christmas gifts! this was the kind of couple I pray for every morning as I'm walking into work. I wish all my patients could be like that :)

I sat around and did 3 triages this afternoon, I'm getting pretty good at in, pee, monitor, call doc, computer chart, and send them out the door. I had one girl in, assessed, monitored, and out the door in 57 minutes from the time she walked into the building. I was pretty impressed with myself!

Back for another fun day tomorrow. We were actually all hoping for new patients today, since it's the last day of the month we're number crunching and we are gonna be within 1 or 2 of an all time record, 355 babies in one month. I know that doesn't sound like a lot to normal people who, according to the president of the college I went to, thinks that all there is to a delivery is "popping a baby out" or even to those nurses who work in a big teaching hospital where 500 babies a month or so is totally normal. But we aren't THAT big of a hospital, we have 17 labor rooms and only 9-10 nurses staffed on a GOOD day shift. We've had days this month where we've delivered 15-18 babies in a 12-hour shift...that's everyone pulling a lot of weight! So we're gonna be pretty excited if we break our record. The managers were even talking...drumroll please...PIZZA! Not that we'll have time to eat it or anything ;) So it's up to night shift, let's hope they can sneak in another 3-4 babies before midnight!!!

Babies today: 1M
Babies total: 17M/14F = 31
Vag:11M/13F = 24
C/S: 6M1F

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of somewhere special to take your family? I think this place is a great place to visit! Check out Branson resort.

    ReplyDelete