Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Did You Play Baseball in School?

New favorite quote from a patient/family member...

New Grandpa: "Did you play baseball in school?"
Birthday Nurse: "No...but I watch my brother play and I play softball in the summer. Why?"
New Grandpa: "Because you're the best catcher I've seen!"

This after I delivered his new granddaughter all by myself :)

I've wanted to "catch" a baby forever...seriously! But I really, truly believed that it would come after working as nurse for much longer and with a doctor right behind me guiding me through the process, not with one glove on as the patient is puking after pushing for 7 minutes. But, there is NOTHING like that surge of adrenaline, ask the scrub tech (who came in as I'm suctioning the baby after the friend went down the hallway looking for someone to help me) who was standing behind me watching my knees shake as she's handing me stuff to clamp/cut the cord and draw cord gases! Oh my goodness, I thought I was gonna fall over!

But the real story...I'm crawling into bed at home after sleeping most of the day then going shopping (never again this close to Christmas...). My phone rings and it's work: "We're swamped and one of the nurses is sick...is there anyway you can come in?" Sure, I've got nothing better to do, so I jumped through the shower and made it to the hospital in record time. They were right, the board was full! I got a prime who was 7cm, blocked/comfy and on pit. I go in, do my thing, flip her a couple times to get the baby to have early's instead of variables and about 0130 she's about 9. The doc's in the lounge but doesn't want to come until delivery, which means to him until the ears are out. So about 0230 I go in, she's complete and +1 I put her to stirrups, she pushes really well and after all of 3 pushes the baby's crowning quite a bit with pushing so I page the doc to the room and chart that he's been paged.

Then the dreaded words "I feel sick..."
Vomit X1 and I really can see the ears!

Vomit X2 and oh look, I barely got my ONE gloved hand under the head and am now covered in amniotic fluid. I'm not sure what I was thinking but I think it was something along the lines of "Hmmm...the head's out now...I hope the doc gets here quick" and mid thought came...

Vomit X3 and now I'm thinking "oh look, I'm holding a baby...and there's no one else in the room! Uh...now what?"

And then I'm trying to hit my emergency badge and sending the friend of the mom down the hall to find me some help and I'm asking Grandma to slide the delivery table over to me and I'm telling the mom "good job, look at your cute baby" and I'm talking to the baby "oh look how cute you are...talk to me, tell me all about it!" and I'm grabbing on the delivery table for the suction bulb and trying to remember to keep the baby upside down and suction mouth then nose and then I'm trying to find the cord clamp and somewhere in here I'm thinking "I have one glove on, and it's not even on the hand that's holding the baby..." and "hmmm...now I see why the docs wear those big blue gowns over their scrubs...I hope this all comes out in the wash!"

About this time 3 nurses and the scrub tech walk in and (still with one glove on) I clamped the cord, cut the cord (totally forgot to ask if anyone else wanted to do it...), drew cord blood for nursery (missed the tube the first time and added some more decorations to the front of my scrubs 'cuz I was shaking so bad), and was waiting on the placenta when the doc walked around the curtain. "Hi doc!"

I'm not exactly sure how mad he was when he walked around the corner, the only thing he threw was a pair of gloves, but he didn't say anything mean to me and wasn't short with anyone that I heard. He delivered the placenta and sewed up a few skidmarks, but that was it! Honestly, I don't think there was anything I could have done differently. She pushed 3 times and I called him and it was the puking that pushed the baby out, she wasn't pushing with contractions.

So I filled out a variance report, did about half the girl's recovery and left about 0430. I'll work a shift like that anytime. I feel guilty about the doc missing the delivery, but I can't stop smiling! I feel like I got some of my confidence back after Sunday night. So, maybe I should try out for the baseball team? :)

Babies today: 1f
Babies total: 28M/25F = 53
Vag:21M/22F = 43
C/S: 7M3F = 10
Babies 'caught' = 1f...this demands a new category!!

5 comments:

  1. How awesome are you?!!! What an exhilarating moment. Congrats!
    Reading your blogs just makes me want to finish school SO quickly so I can one day share stories and insight about L&D. Great job on your blog- I really enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can be credited on the birth certificate. I have had three babies caught by nurses with no doc in the room, and tried to get the credit for the nurses. Finally, this last time, I had the birth certificate official in the hosptial call and find out for sure if a nurse cannot be credited as the attendant. She found out that yes, in my state, they can. So, I do not credit an OB who wouldn't come down when called, or who wouldn't stay with mom during the last few moments (especially for me since they KNOW I have done this two times before)....

    Blessings!
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! What a great experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... Merry Christmas to you! What a lovely gift you received.

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete