Monday, January 26, 2009

TMI...Just A Warning

The only thing worse than going to work when you don't feel good is going to work, getting nauseous, having to rush out of a patients room to puke and then coming home and puking all night.

I've been in bed all weekend and hadn't really thought it was anything more than a sinus infection. I never felt sick to my stomach, never felt anything more than just stuffed up with a sore throat. But as soon as I got to work...uh-oh. At least I just had a cervidil that was supposed to come in at 2000, so I seriously sat in a chair, drank 2 full water bottles and tried to focus really hard to get my nausea to go away. Seriously, I can take a stuffed nose and a sore throat, but if there's one thing that bothers me about being sick it's puking. I hate it with a P-A-S-S-I-O-N.

So luckily they were able to call someone else in and I feel like a horrible person because I left her with lots of things not done. I had a triage that I hadn't had a chance to chart on, and hadn't called the doc yet, and the cervidil was in the bathroom changing, wasn't even hooked up to a monitor, and didn't have a stitch of pre-admit paperwork done. And the ER floodgates were opening. I feel like a horrible team player and a horrible co-worker!

I thought I'd come home and feel fine and then feel dumb for leaving, but I've puked 3 times since I've been home and can totally empathize with those mom's in labor who can't eat anything but ice chips. My mouth is so dry, and all I want to do is chug about 5 glasses of water, but I know it will come right back up.

Of course this was supposed to be my first of 3-in-a-row, so we'll see if I go back tonight. I don't know how long I should wait to make that call, but if I don't feel like a totally new person in 12 hours, I'm calling in sick.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you could look at it like, "What sort of 'team player' would you be if you stayed and got all of your team sick?"

    I think you made the right choice! :-)

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, vomitting is no fun. Better to be at home than have a new mom get sick with the same virus. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete