Friday, June 12, 2009

Boards Re-Visted

It's been an interesting week...it was 1year ago (not by exact dates, but the 2nd Wednesday in June) that I took my nursing boards for the first time. That is one day I will never forget. 3hrs, 270 maximum number of questions, left the test in tears.

It was 1 year ago (again, 2nd Friday in June) that I found out that I didn't pass boards the 1st time around. THAT is for sure a feeling I'll never forget. Seeing that big FAIL next to my name and that horrible sinking feeling in my stomach. I was the girl nobody ever expected to have any kind of problems with boards...and I was the one out of the class who failed. I felt like I was NEVER going to be a nurse, that maybe this wasn't what I was supposed to do, that all my years of work and dreaming had come to just that...work and dreaming without ever achieving my goals. I never felt as worthless, stupid and ashamed in my life.

The next 45 days were the toughest ever, and I'm still not sure how I ever got through them! Well, actually, I do know. It was because of the awesome L&D nurses, especially J, who encouraged me and helped me see that I still WAS going to be a good nurse, and that even the best nurses sometimes have to try again. It was a rough but valuable lesson, and one I am SO thankful that I'll never have to attempt to re-learn. If I never see/hear/think about the word NCLEX again that will be OK with me!

So I made a better memory this year...I had my 100th baby AND I bought my first (NEW) car! That's a better way to remember the 2nd Friday in June :D

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post. I am taking my board on July 10th. I am terrified! I feel as though I am going to be the one to fail. Although, I am studying a lot and feel as though I might be okay.

    I love reading your blog! I currently can't find a job but my hope is to find an L+D job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a way better memory for these dates- 100 babies and a new car! Doesn't get any better than that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah that is a better way to remember a bad day to a good day! A new car is always nice! I feel that way all the time about tests, there is just so much pressure. I haven't taken the NCLEX yet, any pointers? I'm just starting out in the nursing program and am an eager beaver when it comes to learning from people who have already gone through what I'm about to go through. I can understand that if you failed it the first time you would questions whether or not this is the right thing for you, I'm glad you stuck by it and knew in your heart that this was what your supposed to do! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love reading your blogs. I just spent the whole day reading everyone from the beginning. Congrats on 100th baby! You should come check out my blog at www.myrnlife.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete