Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Friday Night

Probably should talk about Friday night before I talk about the craziness of last night!

Friday night...I walked into a girl who was unblocked and on pit but who really hadn't changed all day. I walked down with the day shift nurse to check her right before shift change...she was 8. (Still unblocked). Got the room all set up, gave her a few more contractions...checked her again...she was 9.5...few more contractions, complete. Please let the doc get here! I didn't put her in stirrups 'till I had the doc present and accounted for and I was sure I was gonna catch the baby...but I didn't. Nice delivery, she was so proud of herself for going un-blocked, and with good reason! I love it when they think they're only 2 and then realize that they're like 8 or 9 or complete. It's amazing how well they stay in control that way vs. knowing that they're getting closer and closer. I wonder if it really is a mind game!!

So I hung out with my postpartum cuplet (since I've been trained now...hahaha!). Did the whole breastfeeding thing, etc, etc. Then about 430 I got a R/O labor/SROM who was indeed in labor and SROM'd. I got her block, comfly, did my charting and checked her about 0630 and she was complete! Got the doc there, pushed 1 and a half times and had a baby at 0658...handed off the recovery to the day shift nurse and left the unit at 0710. That's how I like it! Get the fun of bonding with the patient, do the delivery, sign the chart and walk out. I think every delivery should be that way :)

So...3 shifts this week...5 babies...all vag...what a week! Reminds me why I love my job (most of the time!)

Babies today: 2m

Babies total: 53M/53F = 106

Vag:41M/41F = 82

C/S: 12M12F = 24

Babies 'caught' = 1f1/2m

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful couple of deliveries!!! Now let's pray mine goes as smoothly in October, yeah?!

    ReplyDelete