Wednesday, November 5, 2008

3 Left And Counting...

So after today, I only have 3 shifts left on days! That just kinda hit me today, and it makes me sad! I'm still a little (ok, a lot) nervous about going to nights, I think just because that means that I'm almost on my own and nobody's watching my back, and I've never worked nights on L&D before. I've worked nights a lot as a CNA, but not on L&D. I love the day nurses, and now I have to learn a whole new group of people, how they tick (or maybe what ticks them off), a different routine to the unit, it's like taking a big step back! And I'm going to miss working with J, she's been my nursing "friend" for a long time, and she's the one that's taught me everything I know about L&D nursing. Shoot, now I'm getting all emotional and depressed about it!

Anyway, today was another good delivery on my own. Another multip induction, really nice, young couple. I wasn't sure how it was all going to go at first, I think it took them a little time to warm up to me, but I think they were ok with it all after a few minutes. I know that not every patient is going to like me, and that my "style" of nursing or my personality isn't going to mesh perfectly with everyone, but I hope that I try to be at least friendly and pleasant to everyone. It sure makes it easier for both the family and me if we get along!

I really wondered what they were thinking when I started getting the "how long have you been a nurse" "how long have you worked here" questions. I HATE it when people ask me that, because I know what the first thing would be that flashed through my head if I found out that my nurse had only been out of school for a few months. I'd be asking for another nurse! I always try to avoid the topic if I can and pretend that I've been doing this for years and that I know exactly what I'm doing. After the issue couldn't be dodged anymore and I told them I graduated in May, been working on L&D for about 3 months, I said "I hope it's not that obvious that I'm new..." she laughed and said "I noticed, but it's ok. It's nice to have a nurse that still excited about it." So I THINK that was supposed to be a compliment. I try really hard to not act "new," but I'm not really sure how to do that. As far as the excitement thing, I hope that I still act excited about it all when I've been practicing for 15 years. How can birth not be an exciting thing? Even the docs say that they get goosebumps after delivering thousands of babies. That's what it's all about!

Delivery was really nice, typical "come in pretty dilated, stay that dilated for hours on pit then all of a sudden be 'doink' ". I caught it this time though, didn't wait for the doc to figure it out! Actually, when the doc came over at lunch she called her the same thing I had, and it always makes me feel better when the docs agree with me.

Nuchal cord, so saw variables pretty early. I'm a freak about decels, no matter if they're earlys, lates, variables, they just freak me out. I'm always afraid that one time it's gonna go down and not come back up. It's the worst thing too, to be standing at the bedside, hear that constant "thumpthumpthumpthump" and then you can just hear it drop "thump...thump......thump........thump..........thumpt......thumpt....thump..thumpthmup" I hate that sound. I'm sure that someday I won't be so terrified of them, but any drop in the heartbeat for anyreason, makes me grouchy!

It got really clinic-y this afternoon, must be the storms coming in. I had one gal who had "one big cramp since about 1400." Toco picked up nothing...for an hour. One straight line, baby looked great (for upper-20ish weeks), by the time I had all her bazillion papers filled out I had discharge instructions. We had ED patients coming up right and left, PIH work-ups, anything with tons of paperwork, we had. Spend 4 hours, and feel like all you did all afternoon was computer chart and paperwork. Lovely...

Now I have a day off, back on Friday. It's pouring down rain outside, it's my favorite to sleep when it's raining. AND I don't have to get up at 0500 in the morning! That makes for happy dreams tonight! :)

Babies today: 1f
Babies total: 26M/18F = 44
Vag:20M/16F = 36
C/S: 6M2F = 8

2 comments:

  1. There are positives and negatives to every situation, so you just have to try to accentuate the positive. The truth is, you *are* a new nurse, so think of the positives that come with that -- the excitement and enthusiasm with which you great every shift and every mama coming to give birth to that baby for the one and only time. As the song goes, "AC-centuate the positive...E-lim-i-nate the negative." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing with decels --- first of all, turn the volume down! You'll learn what decels are good and acceptable, and when to really worry. It takes time though. Right now, everything is still so new to you, that you worry about every little tiny dip in the heart rate. Like I tell my orientees - it takes a good 1-2 years to feel comfortable in L&D!

    ReplyDelete