Wednesday, February 18, 2009

T.I.R.E.D

Thank goodness I am done for a few (8!) days! Of course I didn't get call last night, and the longer the night went on, the worse it got, and the funnier/more ridiculous it got. We knew ahead of time that we had a @#$% of stuff already scheduled, 5 cervidils, plus all the un-delivered people left over from day shift. So we walk in and the board looks like poop, and it just gets worse. I start out taking the fresh ROL that's sitting in the lobby, and the triage gates open. We had 11 triage patients walk in through the door, I took 7 of them, and the last one ended up being a repeat C/S. Of course our whole computer system was down, so I got to learn how to paper chart. I'm sure I missed SOMETHING, but at this point, all my people were breathing and that's what counts...right? So here's my night in a nut-shell:

Pt #1 - rule out labor feeling "pressure". She was 2cm...sent her home in an hour
Pt #2 - "I think my water broke" what's your due date? " I don't know...my doctor never told me. It's sometime in July." "July when, because it does make a difference." "I don't know..." Ok...so even though we don't take people less than 20wks along, she came up and got the extreme vaginal makeover with a sterile spec, a fern exam, etc, etc. No SROM...bye-bye!
Pt#3 - I know I have a 9cm uterine cyst and it hurts. 1 1/2hrs later after a T#3, pain is gone, bye-bye!
Pt#4 - I haven't felt the baby move in 4 hours...amazingly reactive NST. Bye-bye in 45minutes.
Pt#5 - I have pain. "Where?" "I don't know...it just hurts." "Rate it on a scale of 1-10." "10." No contractions, closed cervix, have to wake her up to ask her questions. Dx: round ligament pain. After 2 extra-strength Tylenol...bye-bye!
Pt#6 - I'm having contractions. Ok, this one was legit, and she was a repeat C/S...after I convinced the doc to come it we did a C/S. No big deal...right? Except there were horrible abdominal/intestinal adhesion's he found when he cut. So an hour after initial incision was made we had a baby. After 18 suture, pulling the whole small intestine out of the abdomen, repairing the holes in it, pushing it back in, and 2 hours later we rolled out of the OR. That was the longest C/S ever!
Pt #7- oh wait, that's the the scheduled 0730 C/S that I'll just get ready since I'm already in the back finishing my recovery.

I have an 11:00 flight out of town to enjoy some vacation days! Yippee! I'm exhausted...

Babies today: 1f
Babies total: 37M/32F = 69
Vag:27M/26F = 53
C/S: 10M6F = 16
Babies 'caught' = 1f

3 comments:

  1. Wow. What a day! Enjoy your break! I start my first L&D clinical this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You were busy!!!! Hope you have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy c section. Ive never had bowel involved in a c section. your pretty amazing to do all this in one night. Im tired just reading what you did.

    ReplyDelete