Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Birthday Twin!

So Monday was my birthday, and I wasn't originally supposed to work. But then I switched a shift with another nurse so she could do something with her daughter...so I ended up working. I know nobody likes to work on their birthday, but I thought it was kinda fun! I had put in the request book that I did want a labor patient, because if I was gonna work my birthday, then I didn't want antes or postpartum!

The worst part of the deal was that I only got one night off (Sunday night) between my 2 sets of 3 IAR, so that was kind a bummer. But tonight was good!

I did get my birthday twin, a nice couple, a good delivery. She delivered right around 2100 and had a little girl! Yay! It's kinda weird to think that not-all-that-many years ago that was my mom and dad looking at their first baby and not sure exactly what hit them...then here that baby is helping another mom and dad do the same thing! That's pretty cool :)

It turned out that we had 3 back-to-back-to-back deliveries all within about an hour of each other...so I really got about 3 birthday twins! We all moved our patients over and went from 6 nurses down to 4, then when there were 3 of us sitting around with no patients someone else had to leave. It was my turn by dates and for once nobody else wanted to leave. Most of the time people are jumping at the chance to go home early, but not tonight I guess! So I had to leave about 0215. I didn't really want to go, 'cuz I'm back the next two nights and if I was already there for 7+ hours there was no point in leaving. Bother...

My very cool family brought up treats to the floor about 2200, I was way surprised! It's my brother's finals week at school so he and mom are pretty tied up, and I knew I had to work so took a nap today so it wasn't really any different than any other day, even though it was my birthday. But then I got a fun surprise at work with the food, so I was excited. I'm pretty lucky (and so are all the nurses who work with me!) to have such cool parents!! Maybe I'll make working my birthday a habit!

Babies today: 1f
Babies total: 45M/48F = 93
Vag:34M/38F = 72
C/S: 11M10F = 21
Babies 'caught' = 1f1/2m

1 comment: