Monday, December 29, 2008

Afraid of...

So I was thinking last night after I worked an extra 6hr shift that right after times I think I'm really getting this L&D nursing thing, something else happens that shows me I still have SO much to learn that it scares me all over again! What am I still freaked out about as an L&D nurse? The list seems endless...

~Decels, no matter what kind, still scare the snot out of me, because it only takes one decel to never come back up again...

~Crash C/S- I seem to get flustered at the littlest things, and at the wrong times anyway. If I can't open a scalp electrode at the right end, how am I gonna rush a patient back for a stat section all in one piece without forgetting something important!? I'm sure it's something that after I do it I won't be so terrified of it, but until that happens...

~A REAL shoulder dystocia - I know how to do suprapubic pressure, but what if that doesn't work?

~ That one time there's no heartbeat...heaven help me if that ever happens.

The list could go on and on and on. I guess that's one of the reasons there's never a dull moment at work, there's always that "possibility" that everything can change. I used to say I was afraid of catching a baby, but I did that, so I guess it's time to tackle some more of my fears. Just not all in the same night...please!

2 comments:

  1. Remember - it takes a good two years to feel more comfortable in L&D. Give yourself more time girl! Don't be so hard on yourself!

    Stat c/s - most important thing is getting mom back to the OR right away. Trust me - everything else can wait, if it's a true stat.

    Decels....what can I say? You will come to a point where they don't scare you so much anymore. At least, most decels won't scare you too much. It's the prolonged ones, or particularly deep ones that will rattle your cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and love reading! I will graduate from nursing school May '09 and hit the job market. The ONLY area I have fallen in love with and woke up excited to work each day is L&D. What an amazing area. Unfortunately it was a hard semester for me for many reasons and my lowest grade in nursing school was OB. As a recent grad do you think this could hurt my chances of nabbing a job as an L&D nurse out of school? Look forward to more stories!

    ReplyDelete