Friday, December 12, 2008

Survival

So I went into work last night kinda sad that it was my last night on orientation, I even took brownies! Imagine my surprise when they told me I wasn't on orientation last night...I was just on my own and here's your patient that's 8cm. So, deep breath in, grab a pager and go. And guess what...I survived (and so did my patients!) :) The night went pretty good!

Really nice delivery about 2000, first baby, mom and dad were both super excited and fun to talk to and get to know. Everyone showed up on time (nursery included) and it was a fun birthday party! Got the recovery all done and Mom moved over to her postpartum room before my triage showed up, so I was pretty excited!

Triaged a R/O pre-term labor who was contracting, but not changing so vistaril'd her and sent her home before 0100.

Then sat on my behind until about 0625 when the C/S that was scheduled for 1400 showed up in labor. Now here's what I can't figure out...when I took the traige at midnight, and there were 3 of us sitting around with no patients, how is it my turn to take the next one who walks in the door? It wasn't that big of a deal, and I only left about 30min late after charting and doing all the admission for the gal, but I'm afraid that it's a sign of things to come...the new kid on the block gets dumped on because it's easy. That's gonna make for a not happy nurse if I get the short straw every time...but maybe I'm just tired!

Anyway, it was a good 1st night truly "on my own" and I don't have any horror stories to tell like some of them do about their first night off..but that's ok! And it was probably a good thing that I just walked in and found out it was my first night off instead of worrying about it the entire day before. I was proud of myself and the confidence is building. Let's hope I haven't jinxed myself for the next time I work...

Babies today: 1f
Babies total: 28M/24F = 52
Vag:21M/21F = 42
C/S: 7M3F = 10

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on surviving your first night on your own!!!!
    I just wanted to let you know that my unit does that too, give the newbie the next patient, even if multiple nurses do not have patients. They say it's so that new nurses can gain experience, and that you might as well do it while you have lots of back-up (i.e. other nurses without patients). So know that it's not just you, we do it too, and guess what, in a year, there will be others newer than you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello - a fellow L&D nurse here saying I really enjoy reading your blog. I just started specializing in OB a little less than two years ago and can completely relate. Good job, you're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving the newbie the next patient, when multiple nurses are patient-less is normal on my unit too. It all truly depends on who the charge nurse is too. Some charge nurses are more fair, and will rotate on a more equal basis. It's true what anonymous says too - it gives the new nurse more experience to give her the new patient, with the more experienced nurses there as back-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthday Nurse,

    I just read the story originally printed in the Chicago Tribune about how one doctor allegedly abused a patient because he was angry at her for not calling him before going to the hospital. (You can click on the link for the allegations, but they include denying her request for an epidural for hours, not allowing her to speak [even to ask questions], making her lie in stirrups in an extremely uncomfortable position for hours, telling her in no uncertain terms that she was going to hemorrhage, and suturing her without anesthetic.)

    While I am extremely upset at even the possibility of something like this happening, I wonder if there is anything that the woman or her husband could have done to stop this. Assuming all of the allegations are true, what could the woman have done while in labor to have kept this from happening? Could she have requested another doctor? Could the nurse have done something? Surely there was *something* that could have been done. While people like me can get angry at such treatment, I would like to go deeper than that and work at preventing that, rather than just "file suit afterward" if something like this happens.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete