Friday, March 13, 2009

Any More?

Seriously, we have been a little busy at work. Last night was my second extra partial shift this week. When my phone rang yesterday afternoon and I saw it was work I knew what they wanted and let it go to voicemail. After what the board looked like last night I'm not surprised at all that they needed help. I called back as few hours later and the Charge said that a few people had called back, but one nurse had called in sick, so she wasn't sure if they still could use help or not. I already had plans for the earlier part of the evening so I said I could come from 2300-0700 if they still needed someone...I went in at 2200 and left after 0730. It was crazy.

All I ended up with was a post-partum mag post C/S which was fine. We actually "slowed down" a little for a few hours, then the bus rolled up and we got 3 or 4 walk-ins, then one of the docs called us and told us that one of the other "bigger" hospitals in the city was on diversion, so guess where all the patients were coming! For some reason, any other OB unit can go on diversion, but our hospital never does. Seriously, we've labored patients in the doctors lounge instead of closing. When I left this morning there were no empty rooms, there were 3 inductions sitting in the lobby and there was at least one other ROL on their way. I'm not kidding when I say I was glad to be walking out instead of in! Poor day shift!

So, we'll see if I go back in tonight. J told me today this morning that I need to learn to say "no" and not burn myself out. I agree, but at the same time, I know exactly what it's like to be a scheduled nurse and be there no matter what and have nobody willing to come in and help out when it gets crazy. That's the worst feeling in the world.

Now it's bed time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment