Saturday, March 28, 2009

Custom Words

I was flipping through my phone's "added" words that I've used in text messages and you know you're a L&D nurse when these are the words you've added:

~bleeder
~cerclage
~cervidil
~clonus
~cyst
~dink (as in a "dink" check...time to push!)
~epidural
~forceps
~ICU
~intubate
~keflex
~lidocaine
~NICU
~PIH
~pooped
~scrubs
~SROM
~a number of doctor's/nurses/staff people's names

Talk about a language of our own...Now here's the test...how many of these words do YOU know and/or use on a daily basis?

3 comments:

  1. definantly not words in my cell phone :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow your blog quite religiously. As a Mom of 3, I am familiar with a number of these terms, but they are not a part of my daily vocabulary. At times while I'm reading your posts, i wonder what some of the abbreviations are. Thank goodness for Google. Maybe you could put a glossary in your side bar? Might help some of your "not so medically inclined" readers figure out what the heck you are talking about!! Luv it! I'll keep on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My list of words used on a daily basis:

    ~bleeder
    ~cyst
    ~forceps
    ~ICU
    ~intubate
    ~keflex
    ~lidocaine
    ~pooped
    ~scrubs
    ~a number of doctor's/nurses/staff people's names

    I enjoy your posts alot keep up the good work!
    Your posts make me want to go back to school to be an RN instead of an MA.
    Have a great week!!
    ~URO*MA

    ReplyDelete