Monday, January 5, 2009

115 Hours in 2 Weeks...

115hrs at work in 2 weeks is a few too many I think...but I'm excited to see my paycheck this weekend! 2 full shifts of holiday pay for Christmas night and New Years night, plus all the time-and-a-half pay for extra shifts! Bye-bye school loans...or a least a chunk of them!

I wanted deliveries, and I got them! 3 deliveries in 2 shifts is pretty good for a night nurse, let alone me! So I was happy. I went in a hour early for one of the day nurses last night, so I took over a labor and she delivered close to 0100, so moved her out about 0300, did one triage and saw the first day nurse walk in and I clocked out at 0640 and headed home! Thank goodness I have 4 days off now, I think I need them, just to take some breaths and sleep through some nights (ya right) and be ready to go back and not feel like I'm dying.

I got to play with my baby from last night that caused me all the problems. He is SO cute! He sure doesn't look big enough to break his mommy's tailbone! I guess he'll be hardheaded his whole life! I went to go see Mom and Dad too before it got crazy and they were both so appreciative of my help last night. Every time someone tells me I was an "awesome nurse" I have to step back and think about it. All I could think about was how scared I was of their kid's strip and how fast my heart was beating every time his heart rate dropped. All they remember is that I helped get their baby here. Talk about a different perspective...

I put on my first scalp lead tonight...too bad I didn't have the guts to do it last night when I really needed one. I had just a tad bit of trouble tonight putting it on, but I figured it was just because I didn't know what I was doing. Then when the kid came out she had a TON of hair and we had to untangle the scalp lead from her hair...no wonder it wouldn't stick for me! Ha! I helped do a fetal fibronectin, so next time I can do that on my own.

Actually, even though I've worked a ton, I don't feel that bad. I feel like I've learned a lot, done a lot, and really feel like I'm doing what I was always meant to do. I was thinking about that walking back from moving my recovery this morning, that I'm really doing what I've always wanted to do. Ya I have scary moments, and then I have moments where I totally love what I do. That is a good feeling.

No more posts 'till Friday...*hopefully!* Have a good week!

Babies today: 1f
Babies total: 30M/26F = 56
Vag:22M/23F = 45
C/S: 8M3F = 11
Babies 'caught' = 1f

2 comments:

  1. We're not allowed to place scalp electrodes where I work. It's allowed by the state board of nursing, just not in my facility. Also, the FFN testing - we aren't allowed to do speculum exams either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of times if mom has fallen on their coccyx in the past breaking or dislocating it, it will heal at almost a right angle, effectively blocking part of the birth canal. Most OB's never pick up on that until there's a problem with delivery. I've seen women end up sectioned after failing to progress because of that. In this case that may be why baby broke her coccyx...

    ReplyDelete