Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mag and a Vacuum

Ask me why I'm blogging at 0430 am on Saturday morning and the answer is simple...I CAN'T SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT ANYMORE TO SAVE MY LIFE! I'm wondering if it would be better to just not sleep when I get home from work and stay up until the next night so I can sleep, but I don't think I could do that. I'm so exhausted on my nights off anyway that I sit down and fall asleep at like 8 or 9 and then sleep wake up bright eyed and bushy-tailed at 5am (or earlier...like 130 this morning...). This isn't cool anymore!

Anyway, so I worked Thursday night. I'm slowly moving things from my "never seen/done" list to my "I've at least seen it/done it once" list. Thursday I added my own personal mag/pit delivery and my first vacuum delivery to my "once" list. It was a little overwhelming at shift change 'cuz she was hurting and puking, etc. But I always seem to get overwhelmed at shift change, so once I sucked in a couple deep breaths and took it one step at a time I finally got it done. I didn't catch up on charting/paperwork 'till about 3 hours after delivery, but after that the night was quiet. I think I did almost everything I was supposed to too, and not only did it, but charted it! Yippee!

The vacuum was interesting, poor kidd-o had a nice little cone head and a bruise, but his strip looked like poop with not much variability and variables with every contraction, and Mom wasn't the most effective pusher in the world, so he got a little help.

I got the first C/S ready in the morning too...started the IV on the first attempt and it WASN'T IN THE HAND! IV"s aren't always my best friend and they leave me more frustrated than vag exams did. I always go for the hand 'cuz I can SEE the veins and that's the only way I can seem to have any chance of a good stick. All the "veteran" nurses gripe about it and tell me how it's a major "pet peeve" of theirs to put an IV in the hand and all the reasons why you should put an IV anywhere but the hand. But I count myself lucky to get it started in the hand most of the time. Anyway, this C/S patient had nothing on her hands except really deep, tiny veins, but I felt (what I hoped was a vein) on the side of her arm, so I just went for it. And it worked beautifully! Yea for me!

I got the sweetest card and pictures from the family of that horrible fetal demise from a few weeks ago that I took care of. It was about to make me cry when I opened it at work. The pictures are some that the professional people came in and took that night, and they are perfect. I know it's a little morbid when you really think that you're looking at pictures of a dead baby, but he looks so perfect and sweet and you can't tell the difference at all. The card is really sweet too. It blows me away that they are still going through the grief process, and yet they took time to send me a Thank You for being there for them. Wow. Amazing.

So I'm off 'till Tuesday night! Going to see Rascal Flatts tonight!!!! Those two things combined make for a great long weekend!

Babies today: 1m
Babies total: 33M/27F = 60
Vag:24M/23F = 47
C/S: 9M4F = 13
Babies 'caught' = 1f

1 comment: